Thursday, April 27, 2006

Iatrogenic Rash


I posted before that I've had a sinus infection for a few months now. Well, I've been to an allergist, had a CAT scan, tried antibiotics, blah, blah, blah. The last antibiotic I took was Levaquin. It helped the sinus infection, but didn't knock it out completely. As soon as I finished the 10 days of one pill per day, I had this strange rash come up on my hands and arms. Today is over one week that I've had this rash, and it's itchin' like a motherfucker! My hands and arms look like I have the chickenpox. However, it seems like it's getting better (always the optimist, huh?).

This morning I looked up patient reports on Levaquin, and find out that a skin rash is one of the side effects. Like, really bad skin rash that won't go away. Some people have even had to get treatment for the Levaquin caused skin problems. Iatrogenic is a word used to describe an illness brought on by the treatment of another illness. "What if the cure is worse than the disease?" - Joan Osborne

No comments: