Monday, October 23, 2006

Which Part of "Arrogance and Stupidity" Did He Mean?


Alberto Fernández, a senior US diplomat, said in an interview on Al-Jazeera Saturday, that "there was arrogance and stupidity" on the part of the US regarding Iraq.

Now, he has retracted his statement. He says, "those words do not reflect my opinion nor that of the State Department." Uh, yeah right! You don't choose words like that by mistake. You especially don't if you're a diplomat. No, I think he did mean exactly what he said.

Mr. Fernández says that after he read the translation of his appearance on Al-Jazeera that he "realized that I had spoken mistakenly when I used the phrase 'there was arrogance and stupidity.'"

At first the State Department said that there must have been an error in the translation, but later had to admit that what was wrong wasn't the translation. Mr. Fernández even reiterated his statement on CNN when asked about it that same day. He said, "nothing I said is a revelation." Well, that was then, this is now.

I think I would recant too, if I had a hot poker shoved up my ass! You know something like that happened.

No comments: