Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Cheap in More Than One Way

Last night at dinner Nana was telling me how she went to Wal-Mart to get her hair cut and that they had corn on the cob on sale. They were 4 for a dollar. We were eating them and she kept talking about how corn is cheap when it first comes in. They used to by it at Skaggs for 10 for a dollar, or something like that. Finally, I asked her, "How many did you buy?" "Four." "Four? They were so cheap that you only got four?" "Yes, that's all we ever get is four." "No, it isn't. Jean usually gets more than four. Wow, they were so cheap you got a dollar's worth! Did the checkout clerk ask you why you bothered?" I'm laughing hard by now. "No, she didn't." "Did you buy anything else?" "Yes, I got some milk and some cookies." "I'll bet you bought more than just four cookies." "No, I bought four." "You bought four cookies?" "Yeah, four packages." "Yeah, that's what I thought, you bought more than four cookies." I'm still laughing really hard. "'I'll bet you said, 'Wow, that corn is so cheap, I'll buy a dollar's worth." "Well, yes, it was cheap." "It sure was! It was cheap alright." "Cheap in both ways, wasn't it?" "Yes, cheap in both ways."

No comments: