Saturday, April 12, 2003

Can He Appeal for Reason of Inadequate Defense?

Yesterday, I served (endured) Jury Duty. I was called to a Justice of the Peace court to be a part of a jury panel. My great misfortune is that I was selected to be one of the 6 member jury that actually heard the case. The case was a misdemeanor charge of contributing to the truancy of a minor. The father of a 4th grader was charged because he had allowed his daughter to miss school repeatedly. He was one of these fundamentalist Christians that doesn't believe the schools are fit for his children. That's really no problem, because he has the choice of putting them in private schools or doing what's called home schooling. Of course, he didn't want to do that either. He wanted to be able to dictate to the school system what and how it would teach. He represented himself. There's an old saying that goes: "A man who represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer." This guy certainly met that description. The jury endured around 7 hours of this guy repeating the same shit over and over. He successfully insulted everyone in the court room (including the jury) more than once. We found him guilty and fined him $250. If we had been able to put him in jail, I would have voted for that. In fact, I wanted to "max him out," ($500 fine) but the rest of the jury decided on fining him half of the max. Too bad! Anyway, yesterday's experience makes me wonder what the penalty would be for not reporting to jury duty. I really don't think it could be any worse.

No comments: